Good College Dissertation FormatSunday, April 19th, 2009
Here are the basic things about dissertation formats:
A good college dissertation must be first of all, intelligent; second of all, well-researched; third of all, consistent with generally accepted academic guidelines. So even though this is a tedious process, any student who wants to impress must be well-versed in dissertation format used in writing .
The most commonly used essay format is the Modern Language Association format or MLA. Compared to previously used formats, MLA is actually much simpler and much less complicated. Here are some of the basic things to remember about a good college dissertation format
1. The title is found at the center with the first letter of the words in capital letters, except for prepositions and articles. Example, “Building a Dream: Reasons to Expand.” Don’t overdo this part. Don’t highlight it, underline it or write it in bold. Other than the fact that this is incorrect, there simply is no point.
2. Unless specifically requested, a title page is not necessary.
3. Leave an empty line between the title and the main text.
4. There should be page numbers on upper right hand corners of the page.
5. Many students try to make their short essays seem longer by adjusting the format. You won’t be able to do this if you strictly follow the MLA format. The fonts must be 12 points in size, Times New Roman and there should be a one-inch margin all around.
6. The paper must be printed on standard 8.5 x 11-inch paper.
7. Leave just one space after each punctuation and five spaces before each paragraph. There are by the way, no empty lines after each paragraph. (You see, there is no other way to make your paper longer other than to research and write.)
8. The main text must be double spaced.
9. Should your teacher require you to include endnotes, they must be written on a separate page with appropriate markings of course.
This is generally how the pages of your english coursework should look but the guidelines don’t stop here. One of the most important things that a dissertation format emphasizes is citation.
Citation is basically identifying your sources and this is crucial for two reasons: (1) not properly citing your sources is tantamount to plagiarism; (2) should your reader wish to check out the claims that you have made in your english coursework , the citation will help them track down your sources.
The in-text citation generally contains the author’s name and the page number of the book cited. This is enclosed in parenthesis and must follow the parts that you have quoted, referred to, or paraphrased. If you have mentioned the book and its author in the main text, you may only write down the page number within the parenthesis. Example:
Human beings have been described as “symbol-using animals” (Burke 3).
Wordsworth stated that Romantic poetry was marked by a “spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings” (263)
Good college dissertation format is very simple, isn’t it? There are more details to remember including how to prepare a Works Cited page which is found on a separate page at the end of your essay. Just remember that these rules, small as they may seem are important in writing an essay. You may check other books or sites that provide dissertation guide for more information. Buy essay written according to your requirements at fastessays.co.uk – UK leading custom writing company! We offer you a good choice of marketing dissertation topics