About Your Essay Word CountMonday, March 22nd, 2010
How can essay word counts be modified
Any student surely is familiarized with the feeling: you feel you have written the perfect essay, with quotations, references, plenty of examples and a full conclusion with many new ideas. But somehow, you check the essay word count in your textbook processor and you find out you have written only a small fraction of what you were supposed to write. Do you have to start all over? How important is the amount of words, really? If you have an important idea to express, does it matter if you say it with not too many words?
The opposite situation is also possible. You have spent thousands and thousands of hours in front of the computer, writing your essay. But suddenly you discover you wrote more than you were asked to. So, it doesn’t matter if the essay is great, it is just too long and you have to erase some parts of it. After all, too long essay word counts can be as bad as short ones. Or can’t they?
Our good essay sample will help you a lot in building an effective essay
Extending your essay
For a second, think about it from the teacher or the examiner’s point of view: how come a student who was required to write a certain amount of words, writes less? Certainly, he or she has very little to say. No matter if you really wrote your best. An essay word count below required always leaves a bad impression. So, if you need to extend your essay, you may try one of these tips:
– Extend the quotations: in this way, you write more words without actually thinking them!
– Write a longer introduction or conclusion: in these sections of your essay, you are allowed to paraphrase other parts of the paper. Use synonyms to avoid repetitions.
– Secondary information: if you feel you were extending yourself out of the main line of thought, now is the time to rewrite some of these secondary ideas and add them to the final version of the essay. Wish to make your essay stronger? we suggest you take a look at an example of a good essay presented at our site
Summarizing a long essay
An essay with more words than required is not as bad as a very short one. But in any case, you are not exactly following the task if you write one page too many. So you’d better adjust your work in one of these ways:
– Make indirect quotations: instead of copying a two paragraph quote of a certain author, you may quote them indirectly by writing something like “As Foucault wrote, ….”.
– Reduce the introduction and the conclusion, where you don’t provide the reader with information they can’t find someplace else.
Hire our expert writers to get a perfect global warning essay.
How exactly are essay word counts supposed to be? It is up to the examiner to say. If you have the chance to ask them, find out whether the extension is an estimate one or if it should be exact. If the essay is going to be published somewhere, you must follow directions to avoid blank spaces or valuable information being erased. Anyway, try always to maintain the variation in word amounts to a minimum. Never use bad essay examples to write your paper.